Accommodation, Countryside, Sleep

Withuis – rustic farm style

July 10, 2013

Withuis - braai area

This past weekend we stayed in a lovely old cottage on a farm just outside Moorreesburg which is about an hour’s drive from Cape Town, in the Swartland region. Withuis is a charming self catering cottage, tastefully decorated in a rustic country style with a hint of a shabby chic. I so enjoyed the peace and quiet and lack of TV. This meant I actually had time to read an entire a book. I can’t remember when I last got to do that. Most of the lighting is provided by paraffin lamps and candles so not entirely ideal for reading at night… you may want to pack an extra reading light.

Another point to remember, is that it gets pretty cold out in the countryside especially with the cottage having such thick walls. So if you visit in winter, be sure to pack your winter woolies and beanie! I certainly made use of the hot water bottle and really enjoyed this old fashioned simplicity. Withuis is the perfect spot for reading, relaxing and enjoying some good food and wine. What more could you want for a weekend getaway?

Withuis, Witklip Guest Farm

Witklip Guest Farm views

Withuis, Witklip Guest Farm, Moorreesburg
Tel: 082 928 1489

All photography: Lana Kenney ©

8 Comments

• Reply Pippa J July 10, 2013 at 8:51 am

love the look of this place, how many people does it sleep?

• Reply Lana July 10, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Hi Pippa! It has 2 rooms with double beds, 1 room with a single bed and then there was another room which we didn’t have access to, think it has 2 or 3 single beds. So it certainly sleep quite a few.

• Reply Marisa July 10, 2013 at 9:01 am

I dream of a space like this. Calming, uncluttered, natural and so real. I tell myself, one day, when I’m “grown-up”, I’m gonna have this! Thanks Lana for this inspiring post.

• Reply Gail July 10, 2013 at 10:25 am

It looks beautiful!! Love the fresh green touches in the kitchen – makes a nice difference.

• Reply Megan July 10, 2013 at 12:27 pm

Such a lovely, lovely place! I think I’ve seen it in decor magazine, perhaps Idees or Tuis.

• Reply Lana July 10, 2013 at 1:09 pm

Yes, you’re right, it was in Tuis/Home magazine recently!

• Reply Franca July 10, 2013 at 1:46 pm

Lovely cottage with a wonderful view from the gate!
    Hugs :)
    Franca

• Reply Rose July 10, 2013 at 7:31 pm

Hi Lana – Oh My Gosh – this takes me back – it really does. My mom’s sister had a farm in Moorresburg and I used to spend every winter and summer holidays there. I love that area. And I love this back to basics cottage. thanks for sharing and for me spending a good few days there is going to be a definite must do.