Instagram

Berlin Berlin Uncovered coffee shop

Berlin Uncovered: Type Hype

Type Hype, Berlin

While cycling around Berlin, I discovered an amazing design shop/eatery in Mitte. Type Hype’s cool gold lettering and logo caught my eye as I cycled by and I knew I had to stop and explore.

The store has a contemporary, industrial feel and I loved their use of pumpkins and squashes to create a warm autumn feel. You can pop in for a coffee and bite to eat or to shop some of their gorgeous locally designed goodies. Expect to find lovely totes, prints, scatter cushions, ceramics and stationery all with a strong typographic influence.

I’m mad about their Alphabetic ceramics and wish I could have lugged the whole collection home. My baggage allowance certainly wouldn’t have allowed for it but luckily they have an online store!

Type Hype, Berlin

Type Hype, Berlin

Type Hype, Berlin

Type Hype, Berlin

Type Hype, Berlin

Type Hype, Berlin

Type Hype, Berlin

Type Hype, Berlin

All photography: Lana Kenney Β©
Exposure Gallery

Andreas Schmidt
    October 27, 2014 at 2:09 pm

Thank you, beautiful blog.

On Type Hype. Your candide discovery was not exactly believed, but only because of the staged image with that very expensive throw pillow on the outside pubic chair.

This cafe / slash boutique is very overpriced without justification, I assume that they feel that any crazy high price will somehow make them appear more interesting. For example, that pillow is somewhere around 40 Euro.

But I do agree it is a cute spot, just absurd in its pricing as hard times are coming to Germany.

PS. You take wonderful shots in all of your work.

Lana
      October 27, 2014 at 3:42 pm

Hi Andreas
      I agree with you, Type Hype’s products are expensive. However I feel their products and interior are beautiful and therefore worthy of a mention!

Rose McClement
    October 27, 2014 at 2:17 pm

Its so cool to uncover what is happening in the First World in terms of design. I am sure you must have enjoyed exploring what European cities are doing. Looking at what there is, I have to say – we here at the tip of Africa don’t do too badly when it comes to shops and coffee shop interiors.

Lana
      October 27, 2014 at 3:44 pm

Absolutely Rose! Our coffee shops and especially our coffee making, is really up there. I did feel that the boutiques in Berlin just had that extra edge. Their shop fittings are amazing.

Leila
    October 27, 2014 at 8:33 pm

I walked passed it when I was in Berlin but that day was spent getting lost a lot so was too exhausted to go in. Now I regret not checking it out. Looks amazing.

Classiq
    October 28, 2014 at 10:33 am

This looks like a real gem, Lana! I loved Berlin when I visited and I discovered so many places worth mentioning.

Lana
      October 28, 2014 at 2:39 pm

Hi Ada, great to hear from you! It was my first visit to Berlin and I absolutely loved it. There’s so much energy and diversity. A return trip is definitely in order!