Here in South Africa we are still enjoying a lovely long weekend, I hope you got to have a holiday too. So I had plenty of time do some baking and made some Gingerbread bunnies! I visited my parents this weekend and my mom has so many beautiful plates and dishes, I couldn’t have asked for better styling props! I hope you enjoy the photos…
125g softened butter
½ cup brown sugar
2½ cups plain flour
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
3 tsp ground ginger
2½ tbsp golden syrup
* Cream butter and sugar very well until light and fluffy
* Add egg and warmed syrup to mixture, beat well
* Gradually add sifted dry ingredients and mix well
* Knead lightly
* Divide into sections and roll out to about 3mm thickness
* Cut out shapes with cookie cutter and place onto greased baking tray
* Bake at 180?C for 5-10 minutes until golden brown, allow to cool
1½ cups icing sugar
1 egg white
4 drops lemon juice
* Beat egg white lightly.
* Add sifted icing sugar bit by bit, beating well in between
* When mixture becomes thick, add lemon juice and mix
* Decorate your bunnies as you wish!
Tip: If you find your dough mixture is a bit crumbly and not sticking together, you can always heat it for a few seconds in the microwave, it’s much easier to roll out afterwards!
Photography: by me