A while ago I spotted a fantastic post over on The Wellness Warrior, full of delicious raw recipes. And so I decided to try out their Avocado-Lime cheesecake. I made a few minor tweaks and the next time round I think I’ll experiment further. There is no dairy in this dessert, it simply resembles a cheesecake and has the same creamy texture.
I’ve seen that quite a few vegan dessert recipes make use of avocados and I’ve been dying to try and to see the outcome. The dessert was very creamy and didn’t have a strong avocado flavour at all. The lime and honey flavours are delicious and create a fresh, tart flavour. The sweet date base has a slight almond hint and is really tasty. I used coconut flakes but I think if you use dessicated coconut instead, you will end up with a smoother texture. Gluten free and vegan… so you can enjoy guilt free!
Lime & Avocado Dessert
1 cup almond flour
3/4 cup large, soft Medjool dates (about 6)
2 medium/large ripe avocados
5 tbsp organic honey
juice of 4 limes and 1 large lemon (roughly 1/2 cup)
5 tbsp melted coconut oil
½ cup coconut flakes
* Mash the dates with a fork until soft
* Blend dates and almond flour together in a blender
* Knead the mixture into a dough and press into a greased 20cm pie dish
* Blend all remaining ingredients together
* Spread mixture over the base
* Place in the fridge for a few hours to set