Today is the last post in my Stanford Uncovered series and so I thought I’d list a few more spots that are definitely well worth visiting. Do check out the Stanford Tourism website for a full list as there really is so much going on in Stanford.
* Visit Marianas for amazing country style cooking in a wonderfully relaxed setting. Be sure to book way in advance though!
Only open from Thursday – Sunday for lunch.
Tel: 028 341 0272
* Visit Graze Slow Food Cafe for delicious seasonal fare. Ingredients are all organic, free range and locally sourced. I’ve haven’t actually eaten here yet but have heard so many good things about Graze, I can’t wait to visit!
Open on Wednesdays : 9:00 am – 12:00 pm, Fri: 6:00 pm – 11:00 pm, Sat: 9:00 am – 4:00 pm
Tel: 076 243 1930
* Visit the Birkenhead Brewery and do a tasting of their five beers. And why not treat yourself to some pub grub too while you enjoy lovely views of the valley and mountains in the distance.
Tel: 028-341 0183
* Do a scenic river cruise up the Klein River. I recommend River Rat for small groups, owner Ernie is also a certified bird guide so he’ll point out plenty of bird species en route. We had a great trip with River Rat.
Tel: 083 3100 952 / 028 341 0283
* Visit Klein River Cheese and do a cheese tasting or buy one of their gourmet picnic baskets which you can enjoy on the banks of the river. I’ve yet to visit but have been wanting to do so for ages now!
Tel: 028 341 0693
For accommodation take a look at Stanford Country Cottages & the Stanford Hotel.
I hope you’ve enjoyed discovering a bit more about this beautiful and historic village. Stanford has a great sense of community and is really a very special spot. Laid back and charming with a river running through it and majestic mountain views too, you couldn’t ask for much more!
All photography: Lana Kenney