I’ve never tried to make lemon curd before because I presumed it would be complicated. Well, it turns out that it is incredibly simple to make! We have a lemon tree in our garden so I can see this becoming a firm favourite when having guests over.
All you need is four ingredients and within an hour you’ll be rewarded with a tasty citrusy spread. Hop down for my recipe…
- 4 medium sized lemons
- 200g caster sugar
- 100g butter
- 3 free-range eggs
- 1 free-range egg yolk
- Grate the lemons to create lemon zest and squeeze.
- Add lemon juice, zest, sugar and butter to a heat proof bowl.
- Place the bowl over a pot of simmering water, making sure the water doesn't touch the bottom of the bowl.
- Stir the mixture and allow butter to melt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk all the eggs lightly.
- Add the eggs to lemon/butter/sugar mixture and mix well.
- Continue cooking over heat until the mixture thickens to a custard consistency.
- Allow curd to cool slightly and then place in fridge to cool further.
- Once cool, serve right away and enjoy!
- Store extra lemon curd in jars and keep refrigerated.